Indigenous Peoples and Human Rights

June 26, 2011

Leonard Peltier 'Take your place in the struggle'

Today: Oglala Commemoration, Pine Ridge, South Dakota

By Leonard Peltier
Hello my friends and relations,


I always try to come to you full of good spirit and vigor. But I cannot lie. There are days when the ugliness of my situation weighs me down. I swear I never thought this could happen. I never believed law enforcement and the government of this country would go so far for so long to keep their dirty laundry hidden away

Over the years, you my dedicated friends and believers have kept a vision of justice alive. That really is something special. Because of you, we have learned of hidden evidence, coerced testimony, and outright lies by the FBI and prosecutors. Because of you we have been able to uncover thousands of documents the government wanted to stay secret. And yet they have been able to squirrel away thousands more pages of their biggest secrets about me, about the theft of Indian land, their motives behind murder, and their operations to silence people like me. I am living proof that my case is about squashing Indian rights and Indian sovereignty, otherwise why would I be serving a sentence so much longer than what is normal for my so-called conviction?

Those that believe in law and order should be the loudest voices calling for my release! The fact is the day I walk free is the day they are forced to deal with my innocence, and they are so very afraid of doing just that! No matter what they say, the dirty little secret underneath all of this is America’s fear and loathing of Indian people. In over five hundred years, they have not yet learned how to deal honorably with us.

The burden is great sometimes, but the encouragement I get from you helps me to keep my faith that freedom will one day come my way. No matter what happens, on the day I draw my last breath I will be proud to have taken my place alongside my ancestors, knowing I did all I could do, and gave all I could for my people. For those FBI agents and prosecutors in my case, their last moments will include shame.

So remember all of you my friends and relations, this case is about much more than me. If you believe in truth, justice, honor, freedom, all of what is supposed to make America great, then help me open the door to my release. If you believe in Indian sovereignty, join my cause and in doing so help yourself. Take your place in the struggle and do all you can to eradicate injustice.

Thank you for your time. Thank you for your consideration. Thank you for your work. Thank you for your love.

Aho! Mitakuye Oyasin!
Doksha,
Leonard Peltier

5 comments:

Negrodeus said...

I've read in some detail about your situation. It disturbs me that the so called powers that be have carte blanche to do as they feel for the sake of avarice. From the moment Europeans got to America they have tried to develop a slave economy. Once Buffalo roamed the land in numbers so large that when they moved it was the sound of thunder. Now we have genetically modified beef that they control. I believe that one of the greatest travesties committed by white people and their descendants is the theft of the lands that are now called America. This is from a child that is the descendant of slaves unlike the current president.

Lisa Lubabah said...

Dear Leonard,

thank you for your words. Im a German girl and just watched the movie "One flew over the Kuckoocks Nest". I saw Chief Bromden and went to the internet to figure out more about him. I found out his name is Will Sampson and he is a painter. So I found your letter and you remind me on my search for People who keep on fighting for a lively world. I read a little bit about AIM, Wounded Knee 1890 and 1973 and saw alot pics and even little docus on youtube. When I was a child I loved to read Indian Stories, and even a close friend of mine, a writer and rapper calls himself Häuptling chief. Nativity is everywhere and we all influence each other to the best. Do you know the Neverending Story? Thats us. Reading your letter motivates me to keep on wrighting my lyrics and expressing the struggle. Please dont think just the skin is making the woman or the man. Its to not to believe that money is less than life and Mama earth. Its to live this. And whenever I get slow and down someone like you inspires me to be true. I slept a night in the woods some days ago and saw the stars in the nightsky and sat on the ground, leaves in my face, listening to the wild boars. I read a little book, some poems and little stories of Hermann Hesse. If you can get hands on some of his work, please read. You gonna like it.

Much Love and sweet Kiss on your Cheek,
Inéz Jedamzik

Unknown said...

Dear Leonard

I think Without knowing, many people are aware of your story and it's the responsibility of human kind to make that awareness grow. To do my bit in that I aired a cyber balloon (facebook app)about you and the injustice done to you( and your people and is still happening)to raise awarenes and maybe make some waves. Hope is a powerfull thing!!

respect Carla Aijtink (hazeyjane)

Unknown said...

joe19600@hotmail.com LEONARD,how are you doing? man its sad to see you still in prison. My name is Joe Flores and I met you back in 1998 when we were in Leavenworth, I'm out now and love seeing the TohonoO'Odham Nation on the outs. You have alot of people behind you and one day you will be home. your brother from the SOUTHWEST,Joe flores.

Unknown said...

Leonard,Whats up ? hope your doing ok. I met you back in 1998 when we were in Leavenworth ,well I made it out to TohonoO'Odham Nation after 14 years.I know you have alot of people behind you and on one day you will be home .Keep on painting bro you probably are pretty good by now. well with hope and prayors your way from a SOUTHWEST BRO. AHO.